Friday, August 15, 2008

Does My Child Need Speech Therapy?

This is a question nearly all parents have had at one time or another. There is such a wide range of typical speech and language development that it is sometimes difficult to know what's "normal" and what's not. You may even have found widely varied speech and language development among your own children. But there are times that speech therapy is necessary. Intervening early is often quite helpful for future speech and language development so don't delay. It never hurts to ask!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, this is a great idea. If I ever have any kids that need these services, I'll definitely refer them to you. :)

Kristina said...

I also think this is a great idea. I didn't know you specialized in preschoolers. You've heard Gove speak (my mom says he speaks German), do you think he could benefit from your therapy? It's so hard to tell with your own kids, but I'm a little worried about his preschool teachers being able to understand him!

Jessica said...

I talked to Gove for a little while today and I understood him just fine. I would have to take a longer listen to know for sure, which I'm happy to do. You could just bring him over sometime and let me play with him for a few minutes and I could give you a better idea about it.

Devan and Robyn said...

Jessica - Hi! This is Robyn Anderson. (jill farnsworth's niece) You have worked with my son, James, before and we are in need of your services again! He has attended the Mesa Public Schools speech program, but this year they have kind-of cut speech therapists out and have speech techs. He has been tested for learning disabilities, but the only result that came back was to intensify his speech therapy. He is now in the 2nd grade and doing pretty well. I think he just needs to meet with you once a week or so? Let me know what you think! (480)-664-2259

Ruth Anne said...

My SIL, Megan, sent me here because my 10 month old son gets swallowing therapy. He is on honey thick liquids, and he will be tested for paralyzed vocal cords in a couple weeks. Wondering if you know anything or have any thoughts.

Thanks for your knowledge.